Corporate Mission and Sustainability Philosophy
We established our “Essential Elements” as a set of common values that allows each JSR Group employee to act with responsibility and confidence. This ensures that we create a corporate culture in which sustainable growth is achieved regardless of changes in personnel or organizational form. The Essential Elements consists of the Corporate Mission, the Management Policies, and the Course of Action.
1. Corporate Mission and Sustainability Philosophy
We believe that to be a sustainable company, we must continue providing value to all stakeholders while responding to environmental changes. We define sustainability as “contributing to society by creating value through corporate activity.” This way of thinking vis-à-vis sustainability is connected to JSR Group's Corporate Mission and in line with our management policies over the years.
Under our Corporate Mission of “Materials Innovation - We create value through materials to enrich society, people and the environment,” we aim to contribute to the development of a sustainable global environment and society by creating value through corporate activity. And we will advance initiatives that benefit all stakeholders—customers and business partners, employees, society, the environment, and shareholders.
The scope of JSR Group's business activities is in the process of shifting from a Japan-centric focus to a truly global focus. In order to carry out global business activities, we need to have a deeper understanding of worldwide issues and the problems faced by regions throughout the world.
On the other hand, these issues and problems can be turned into opportunities for new businesses. By actively seeking to identify these business opportunities, we are working to expand the scope of our business.
Participation in the United Nations Global Compact
JSR Group signed the United Nations Global Compact in April 2009. As a company engaged in business operations globally, we will more proactively fulfill our corporate social responsibilities, recognizing that global businesses must make a greater commitment to the ideals expressed in The Ten Principles of the United Nations Global Compact; namely, human rights, labor, the environment and anti-corruption. As a signatory, we conduct Communication on Progress (COPs) by preparing status reports on our actions for the ten principles.
The Ten Principles of the United Nations Global Compact
- 1.Businesses should support and respect the protection of internationally proclaimed human rights; and
- 2.make sure that they are not complicit in human rights abuses.
- 3.Businesses should uphold the freedom of association and the effective recognition of the right to collective bargaining;
- 4.the elimination of all forms of forced and compulsory labour;
- 5.the effective abolition of child labour; and
- 6.the elimination of discrimination in respect of employment and occupation.
- 7.Businesses should support a precautionary approach to environmental challenges;
- 8.undertake initiatives to promote greater environmental responsibility; and
- 9.encourage the development and diffusion of environmentally friendly technologies.
- 10.Businesses should work against corruption in all its forms, including extortion and bribery.
The Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
“Transforming our World: the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development” was adopted at the UN Sustainable Development Summit in September 2015. The SDGs are comprised of 17 goals and 169 targets that all United Nations member states will strive to achieve by 2030 for people, the earth and prosperity. In addition to conventional development goals, such as eradicating extreme poverty and hunger, the SDGs also cover challenges faced by developed countries, among them the promotion of gender equality, creation of a strong employment environment, reexamination of production and consumption, conservation of marine and forest resources, and development of safe communities. JSR Group will do its part to achieve the SDGs by creating value through its corporate activity.
2. Value Creation Model
We seize upon social issues and use JSR’s technological strengths to strive to contribute to society and increase our corporate value.