Minimizing the impact on business activities in the event of a major crisis within the JSR Group has been positioned as a top-priority management issue, and the Risk Management Committee was established to conduct risk management activities.
The Risk Management Committee performs group-wide risk management and formulates response policies concerning actual or potential risks other than those arising in the normal course of business that are addressed in major conferences such as meetings of the Board of Directors*.
* Risks arising in the normal course of business that are addressed in major conferences, such as meetings of the Board of Directors, are strategic ones that include those associated with capital investment and M&A.
Risk Management Measures
Risk management systems were established in JSR and all group companies in FY2010 (April 1, 2009 to March 31, 2010), and these systems are scheduled to go operational in FY2010. Each year, we identify and assess risks in all divisions, adopt response measures, and position particularly significant risks as group-wide priority risks for management and improvement by the Risk Management Committee. The group prepared a Risk Management Manual in FY2005 and has been working to reinforce structures for responding in the event of the occurrence of a major risk. The Risk Management Manual is designed to minimize the impact on business activities of risks that occur by using guidelines that specify responses and actions for each division. The Risk Management Manual is reviewed during the annual crisis management training and response structures are reinforced.
Crisis Management Training
Crisis Management Training (Yokkaichi Plant)
Crisis Management Training (Headquarters)
JSR Group has been implementing Crisis Management Training since FY2005. Conducted based on major disaster scenarios, this training is aimed at enhancing crisis response systems so that the damage and impact on stakeholders can be kept to a minimum in the event that a major disaster occurs.
In FY2009, drill was conducted assuming that a major disaster occurred at the Yokkaichi Plant, with crisis centers established locally and at the head office. Also, the installation of an automatic notification system at the head office and the three domestic plants (Yokkaichi, Kashima, and Chiba) was completed to improve systems for rapid notification and assembly of the concerned parties in the event of an emergency. Periodic training will be continued in the future and we will continue our efforts to reinforce crisis management systems while preventing accidents and disasters as well as to reinforce structures that can minimize impact through rapid responses to emergency situations.
Preparations for a Major Earthquake
The JSR Group adopted a medium-term plan in FY1996 concerning preparations for a major earthquake and has been conducting systematic activities to enhance those preparations. The medium-term plan was reviewed in FY2007, and based on the results of an earthquake resistance diagnosis, earthquake proofing construction has been conducted with a priority on high-pressure gas facilities at plants. In FY2009, emergency earthquake report systems were installed at all JSR business sites in accordance with our policy of placing the highest priority on human life.
To prepare for the outbreak of new strains of influenza, the JSR Group adopted influenza countermeasures in FY2009. Based on the formulated plan, the group has taken advance measures such as disseminating information to employees and conducting employee training, made sanitation goods such as masks and antiseptic available, adopted measures at overseas business sites, as well as procured PCs so employees can work from home.
The JSR Group adopted an Information Security Policy and is working to implement appropriate information management by informing all personnel of the policy.
- Information Security Policy
- ●The JSR Group will observe laws and other social regulations regarding the handling of information belonging to JSR, as well as its customers, business partners or other third parties, in addition to protecting that information in an appropriate way.
- ●The JSR Group will strive to improve and actively use its information assets for the efficient conduct of business. Company officers and employees shall use these information assets for work purposes only within the scope of their authority.
- ●The JSR Group shall improve organizations and systems, conduct education on information security, thoroughly disseminate this policy and related regulations, and implement measures to ensure information security.
- ●The JSR Group will implement appropriate human, organizational and technological measures and work to prevent unauthorized access to information assets from outside the company, as well as leaks, falsification, loss, theft and destruction of information assets.
- ●If an information security related problem occurs, the JSR Group will promptly identify the cause and take measures to minimize damage and prevent reoccurrences.
- ●The JSR Group will periodically assess and review its information security measures to respond appropriately to changes in external environments.