The JSR Group mission is to contribute to the realization of a more prosperous human society through our business activities. In that process, it is important that we act with integrity as a "good corporate citizen" and live up to the trust our stakeholders place in us. Our Group CSR represents the initiatives we employ to successfully achieve that mission and as such, we view CSR as a key management issue.
Corporate Philosophy and Management Policies
Basic Approach to Corporate Ethics
- ●Contribution and Responsibility to Society
- Obey the law, and conduct business activities as a responsible member of society; contribute to the betterment of society as a good corporate citizen.
- ●Trusted Management
- Provide appropriate and timely information disclosure to shareholders; engage in highly transparent management, and increase corporate value, continually earning the trust of our shareholders.
- ●Services and Responsibilities for Customers and Other Business Partners
- Interact in good faith with all business partners, maintaining fair and equitable relationships while providing high-quality services.
- ●Respect for the Individual
- Respect employees as individuals, ensuring a discrimination-free, safe and comfortable work environment.
- ●Relations with the Company
- It is our responsibility to all of our stakeholders to be vigilant against damage to corporate value in any form, including intangible factors, such as societal trust and corporate character.
Management Policies related to Safety, the Environment, Quality,
and Product Safety
- : Continue our record of accident- and disaster-free operations, ensuring the safety of our employees and the local community, as we coexist with society.
- : Reduce environmental burden throughout our entire business cycle—from product development to product disposal—doing our part to preserve the environment.
- : Offer quality products and services that both satisfy and inspire confidence in the customer.
- ●Product Safety
- : Verify safety at all stages—from raw materials to finished product—protecting the health and property of all individuals involved.
Basic Approach to Risk Management
- ●Our Group believes that minimizing the effect of a major crisis on business activities is an important role of management. The Group has established a Risk Management Committee, and actively pursues risk management activities.
Basic Approach to Social Contribution
- ●Our Corporate Philosophy dictates that we make a contribution to society through our business activities. Further, we are actively engaged in providing solutions to societal demands and issues as a responsible member of society.
- ●We are continuously engaged in positive social contribution activities, capitalizing on our "chemical/technological" knowledge and skills that form the core of the JSR business.
- ●Every employee is a point of contact between the Company and society. We actively support our employees in their voluntary participation in social contribution activities.
- Participating in the United Nations Global Compact
On April 14, 2009, the JSR Group became a participant in the Global Compact policy advocated by the United Nations. By doing so, we declare as a global organization that we are acting responsibly in the international community and are working hard to proactively execute our "corporate social responsibility."
The Ten Principles (United Nations Global Compact)
- Principle 1: Businesses should support and respect the protection of internationally proclaimed human rights; and
- Principle 2: make sure that they are not complicit in human rights abuses.
- Principle 3: Businesses should uphold the freedom of association and the effective recognition of the right to collective bargaining;
- Principle 4: the elimination of all forms of forced and compulsory labour;
- Principle 5: the effective abolition of child labour; and
- Principle 6: the elimination of discrimination in respect of employment and occupation.
- Principle 7: Businesses should support a precautionary approach to environmental challenges;
- Principle 8: undertake initiatives to promote greater environmental responsibility; and
- Principle 9: encourage the development and diffusion of environmentally friendly technologies.
- Principle 10: Businesses should work against corruption in all its forms, including extortion and bribery.
CSR Advancement Structure
The JSR Group reorganized its CSR advancement structure in June 2008. The Group works to improve initiatives as a whole by establishing a CSR Department to support their advancement as well as the following four committees: the Corporate Ethics Committee, which works to establish corporate ethics and prevent misconduct; the Responsible Care Committee, which aims to achieve a sustainable society by advancing Responsible Care; the Risk Management Committee, which seeks to further improve risk management structures; and the Social Contribution Committee, which examines and advances the social contribution activities in which the Group ought to engage.
Distribution of CSR Handbook
We distribute the JSR Group CSR Handbook to all employees in order to thoroughly ensure group-wide awareness of CSR.